26 December 2005

One Hell of a Year....


Now that Christmas is over, New Year's stands waiting its turn. 2005 was one hell of a year. War, natural disaster and the political fallout connected made the imaginary world created in my book TFLR seem to be a safe place to go.

This year as a writer, I passed a number of milestone by getting my book published, taking the first steps toward a national advertising campaign, and finishing the next work in the series. When I was doing my research on what would be needed to publish my first work, I read someone's comment that being a writer was not for the faint of heart. Whoever wrote that was on target.

Since I've published, I've run into so much resistance. Not from people who have read my work, but those who have not. You'd be surprised how many folks get bent out of shape when they find out you not only wrote a novel but actually published it! I don't brag about it because I'm involved with the whole process from creation of the written, visual and business aspects. So to me, it is 'just a job'. If I had a dollar for each of the 'how dare you write a book' looks on people's faces when I am introduced as an author, I wouldn't need to write books! It amazes me how people get pissed when they perceive you've stepped away from the herd. I also want a dollar for each 'well you know I'm writing a book too...' stories I hear now.

Suddenly, I get asked, "How were you able to do it?" I hate to tell, but there's no secret formula or whizbang method that you can pull from a bottle or read in a 'how to' book. It is exactly like Nike says in their ads: "Just do it." In truth, it took me ten years to write TFLR mainly because I was just bullshitting around. Getting it done wasn't a priority for me. In ten years I had twelve chapters done in the initial draft. Last summer in 2004 I just decided I was going to finish it no matter how long it took. Two months after I started, I submitted a final draft for copyright and on 11 May 2005 it was published. No big mystery, I just did it.

Funny thing, writing books is sort of like 'killing' in that after you get past the first one, they start getting easier. The next tale from the long road is titled: "The Gray Man." It was in february of 2005 and no projects were coming in for my production company and I had a ton of free time. So nearly every day for 5 1/2 months I managed to write something and finished the first draft (including revisions) in August. Pending artwork, TGM will be ready for release in the summer or fall of 2006. I'm already prepping my notes for the third book. Bottom line, if you want to write a book, write the damn thing.

Lastly, thanks to all the people who weren't 'hating' and were forthcoming with their praise and criticism. With feedback the stories I write will only get better. The test readers for the latest book have said that The Gray Man is more exciting than the first! We'll see what the rest of humanity has to say when the book is released. So to all of you fans of the books, persons who wandered in and people who know me personally, best of luck to us all in the coming year! To all my boy's and girls holding the line on the 'rockpile' or in the 'sandbox', the standing order is 'do your job and come home alive.'

Happy New Year!

No comments: